From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Determining ebuild stability and the 30 day suggestion (was: QA issue: No stable skype in Tree)
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 22:37:20
1 On Tue, 2007-06-19 at 05:32 +0300, Mart Raudsepp wrote:
2 > Hey,
3 >
4 > On E, 2007-06-18 at 11:34 -0700, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
5 > > Also, remember that stabilization is *supposed* to be about the
6 > > stabilization of the *ebuild* and not the *package* itself.
7 >
8 > This sentence made me personally start looking at the policy in a
9 > different way as far as stabilization and waiting for a set amount of
10 > days is concerned.
11 >
12 > Does this mean that, when for example there are pure bug fix releases in
13 > GNOME packages with no ebuild changes whatsoever, then we can consider,
14 > without hesitation so much, to ask stabilization of these much sooner
15 > than 30 days? Or the new version just has updated translations, which is
16 > cool too (unless it's a very long building package) to get into the
17 > hands of our world-wide users earlier with no practical chance of
18 > breakage.
19
20 Honestly, yes. It means exactly that. If you, as the maintainer, feel
21 that it can go stable sooner, then ask for it. Just remember that in
22 the end, it is you that is responsible for the package and to your
23 users, so use your best judgement. I wouldn't recommend this for a
24 large number of packages, but, as you said, if it were a few updated
25 translations or something else that is fairly trivial, I see no real
26 reason to wait some predetermined amount of time for what is really no
27 more than a simple data change.
28
29 > Right now it is a rare exception to ask stabilization earlier than 30
30 > days, but should we do that more often for cases like I made an example
31 > of (upstream following a strict bug-fixes/translations only rule as well
32 > for the versions in question)?
33
34 Again, it is really up to you, as the maintainer. I have asked for
35 stabilization of packages in the past very quickly if the changes were
36 quite minor. There have been a couple cases where the only change from
37 upstream was applying the patches we were already applying in the tree
38 to the official release and pushing out a new tarball. Think of it like
39 this. You have foo-0.4.1 in the tree. You find a couple bugs, patch
40 them up, and send them to upstream. You make foo-0.4.1-r1 with your
41 patches, and it eventually becomes stable. Now, upstream makes
42 foo-0.4.2, which is just your patches applied to 0.4.1 and the version
43 number bumped. How much additional testing do you think that this
44 needs? After all, the code is the same (minus the version stamp... ;p)
45 so there's nothing new to test.
46
47 This is why the discretion is left up to the maintainer. We expect the
48 maintainer to be aware of things like this and act accordingly, using
49 their own judgement and (un)common sense.
52 Chris Gianelloni
53 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
54 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
55 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
56 Gentoo Foundation