From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Determining ebuild stability and the 30 day suggestion (was: QA issue: No stable skype in Tree)
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 02:36:26
1 Hey,
2
3 On E, 2007-06-18 at 11:34 -0700, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
4 > Also, remember that stabilization is *supposed* to be about the
5 > stabilization of the *ebuild* and not the *package* itself.
6
7 This sentence made me personally start looking at the policy in a
8 different way as far as stabilization and waiting for a set amount of
9 days is concerned.
10
11 Does this mean that, when for example there are pure bug fix releases in
12 GNOME packages with no ebuild changes whatsoever, then we can consider,
13 without hesitation so much, to ask stabilization of these much sooner
14 than 30 days? Or the new version just has updated translations, which is
15 cool too (unless it's a very long building package) to get into the
16 hands of our world-wide users earlier with no practical chance of
17 breakage.
18
19 Right now it is a rare exception to ask stabilization earlier than 30
20 days, but should we do that more often for cases like I made an example
21 of (upstream following a strict bug-fixes/translations only rule as well
22 for the versions in question)?
26 Mart Raudsepp
27 Gentoo Developer
28 Mail: leio@g.o