From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: QA issue: No stable skype in Tree
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 18:40:48
1 On Sun, 2007-06-17 at 20:05 +0100, Steve Long wrote:
2 > keep. Or is it that Skype are a big company so we have to kowtow? /me is
3 > well-confused.
4
5 It has nothing to do with money or the company, and everything to do
6 with the number of people using it. While ion3 is uncommonly used,
7 skype is much more popular. Also, the only real "problem" here is
8 actually our own policy. There's nothing keeping the new skype from
9 being added to the tree, whereas the new licensing for ion3 makes it
10 pretty much impossible, masked or not.
11
12 > (This is not for games, where practical consideration means updates are
13 > needed quickly, and are thus usually kept in ~ as noted. Although, using
14 > one of tuomov's ideas could change that too.. teh sigh.)
15
16 In this case, I would put skype on par with games like eternal lands or
17 other multiplayer-only games that need quick updates. Yes, older skype
18 is still usable for people that have it installed, but for new users,
19 they'll need a newer version.
20
21 Also, remember that stabilization is *supposed* to be about the
22 stabilization of the *ebuild* and not the *package* itself. Sure, we
23 also use the stability of the package to determine if we want to
24 stabilize an ebuild, but in the case of binary-only closed-source
25 packages, there's nothing we can do if something is broken, anyway, so
26 its stabilization status doesn't matter nearly as much. If the ebuild
27 works fine, the package can be stable (or not) and there's nothing we
28 can do about the actual quality of the package. Having a working and
29 usable package, in this case, is more important than some policy which
30 is really designed for open source software.
33 Chris Gianelloni
34 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
35 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
36 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
37 Gentoo Foundation