From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Moving more arches to dev profiles
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 12:27:47
1 On 22 August 2013 13:17, Michael Weber <xmw@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Having a mixed setup isn't that absurd as you want it to be.
4 > And forcing users to not use it renders all package.{accepted_,}keywords
5 > granularity moot.
6 >
7 > It's like nailing them to debian stable or debian testing w/o backports
8 > or anything.
9 >
10 > Please stop dooming this possibility. Mixing together software versions
11 > isn't that much of a magic as you make of it.
12
13 I said that it is a combination not well tested so we do not encourage
14 this. Users are free to do whatever they want.
15
16 When did I say the opposite? However they should not expect much
17 support if they use a mixed system and they run into
18 troubles. Someone who does that, should know what he is doing and be
19 prepared to run into problems.
20 And I will stop here because this discussion is off-topic.
23 >> It's also a bit ehm, funny, to give them a stable stage3 and then tell
24 >> them that for everything else, please use ~arch.
25 >
26 > (I'm not saying that it doesn't hurt in some places, but it's
27 > manageable, as is living on arches with stable core and very few stable
28 > leave packages, like I've been doing on sparc, ppc and arm.)
29 >
30 This is yet to be decided.
33 Regards,
34 Markos Chandras - Gentoo Linux Developer
35 http://dev.gentoo.org/~hwoarang