From: Michael Weber <xmw@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Moving more arches to dev profiles
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 12:47:30
1 On 08/22/2013 02:26 PM, Markos Chandras wrote:
2 > On 22 August 2013 13:17, Michael Weber <xmw@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Having a mixed setup isn't that absurd as you want it to be.
5 >> And forcing users to not use it renders all package.{accepted_,}keywords
6 >> granularity moot.
7 >>
8 >> It's like nailing them to debian stable or debian testing w/o backports
9 >> or anything.
10 >>
11 >> Please stop dooming this possibility. Mixing together software versions
12 >> isn't that much of a magic as you make of it.
13 >
14 > I said that it is a combination not well tested so we do not encourage
15 > this. Users are free to do whatever they want.
16 Actually every other post is about keywording special versions or
17 running --autounmask-write. I'm saying that "we do not encourage this"
18 might not be the reality on forums/blogs/channels.
19
20 > When did I say the opposite? However they should not expect much
21 > support if they use a mixed system and they run into
22 > troubles. Someone who does that, should know what he is doing and be
23 > prepared to run into problems.
24 > And I will stop here because this discussion is off-topic.
27 >>> It's also a bit ehm, funny, to give them a stable stage3 and then tell
28 >>> them that for everything else, please use ~arch.
29 >>
30 >> (I'm not saying that it doesn't hurt in some places, but it's
31 >> manageable, as is living on arches with stable core and very few stable
32 >> leave packages, like I've been doing on sparc, ppc and arm.)
33 >>
34 > This is yet to be decided.
35 This is the established road that leads to user supplied KEYWORDREQ and
36 STABLEREQ bugs. And reality for sparc/ppc/arm, which lacks stable
37 keywords on lots of packages.
38
39 Imho, x86 should be added to the list too.
40
41 <troll>Which environmental responsible persons runs these CPUs these
42 days.</troll>
45 Michael Weber
46 Gentoo Developer
47 web: https://xmw.de/