From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: 'Chris Bainbridge' <C.J.Bainbridge@×××××.uk>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] HEADS UP: Twitching to un-arch-mask Apache2
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 12:22:47
1 Hi Chris,
2
3 > I don't think software updates should be held back because
4 > people might still
5 > be using old versions. You can fix your apache1 installation
6 > now, and all of
7 > the software you currently have installed will continue to
8 > work. You just
9 > won't be able to use new packages that require apache2.
10
11 You're making the assumption that ebuilds for packages that support apache1
12 continue to support apache1 in the future. If, say, the mod_php ebuild
13 drops support for apache1, then that forces mod_php users to upgrade to
14 apache2. It'll happen eventually, sure. It seems reasonable enough to ask
15 whether the gentoo devs have a plan to do this sooner tho ;-)
16