From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: bkohler@×××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Anyone with access to genkernel repository? Or should genkernel be p.masked on amd64 profiles?
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 18:29:42
1 On Fri, 30 May 2014 13:08:50 -0500
2 Ben Kohler <bkohler@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 12:59 PM, Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 > >
7 > > Good idea, we really could use some kind of kernel seeds in the
8 > > Portage tree; if someone is willing to maintain them, knowing that
9 > > Pappy has maintained them for years and spoke about it it seems
10 > > like hard work.
11 > >
12 > > Remember that these "kernel seeds" are actually pretty far from
13 > > what we
14 > need for genkernel defaults (at least the way we currently recommend
15 > using it in our install handbook). The kernel seeds provide a good
16 > sane kernel config *with little or no specific hardware support*.
17 >
18 > But I'm definitely in favor of separately packaging the kernel
19 > configs.
20 >
21 > -Ben
22
23 Yeah, same thoughts; I meant kernel seeds in a more general way, but
24 indeed "seed" wouldn't be the right word, perhaps "kernel plants"? :)
27 With kind regards,
28
29 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
30 Gentoo Developer
31
32 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
33 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
34 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D