From: Jason Stubbs <jasonbstubbs@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some suggestions
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 23:56:23
1 On Sunday 07 September 2003 08:48, Steven Elling wrote:
2 > On Saturday 06 September 2003 13:05, David Sankel wrote:
3 > > 2) make.conf updates to be more automated
4 > >
5 > > Most gentoo users, I believe, modify this file. This specific file
6 > > changes quite often with updates. Since most users only modify the "USE"
7 > > and "CFLAGS" components, having an update that is automatic is plausible.
8 > > This feature is a trade off between the integrity and consistency of the
9 > > system verses end-user maintenance time.
10 >
11 > Requiring portage updates to make.conf at all has always bugged me. The
12 > file is meant to contain custom settings for portage and to append to or
13 > override variables in make.globals and the defaults. It should not hold
14 > all the documentation for make.conf. It should not hold all the
15 > defaults... that's what make.globals and the defaults are for.
16 >
17 > Why is all the documentation on make.conf in make.conf anyway? Shouldn't
18 > it be in make.globals or better yet the man page?
19 >
20 > make.conf is used for system customization and, as such, portage should
21 > leave it alone. When portage is installed on the drive for the first time
22 > it should not create make.conf. Portage should leave it up to the
23 > admin/user of the box to create the file.
24
25 Damn - right after I made a summary! These are excellent points though. I
26 agree wholeheartedly all the way!
27
28 Regards,
29 Jason