From: Steven Elling <ellings@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some suggestions
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 23:49:01
1 On Saturday 06 September 2003 13:05, David Sankel wrote:
2 > 2) make.conf updates to be more automated
3 >
4 > Most gentoo users, I believe, modify this file. This specific file
5 > changes quite often with updates. Since most users only modify the "USE"
6 > and "CFLAGS" components, having an update that is automatic is plausible.
7 > This feature is a trade off between the integrity and consistency of the
8 > system verses end-user maintenance time.
9
10 Requiring portage updates to make.conf at all has always bugged me. The
11 file is meant to contain custom settings for portage and to append to or
12 override variables in make.globals and the defaults. It should not hold
13 all the documentation for make.conf. It should not hold all the
14 defaults... that's what make.globals and the defaults are for.
15
16 Why is all the documentation on make.conf in make.conf anyway? Shouldn't it
17 be in make.globals or better yet the man page?
18
19 make.conf is used for system customization and, as such, portage should
20 leave it alone. When portage is installed on the drive for the first time
21 it should not create make.conf. Portage should leave it up to the
22 admin/user of the box to create the file.
26 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list