From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding slot and subslot deps to others' packages
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2014 18:09:22
1 On Sun, 2 Mar 2014 12:32:05 -0500
2 Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 10:45 AM, Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 > > On Sun, 2 Mar 2014 09:37:22 +0100
7 > > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
8 > >
9 > >> Few months ago I have written a small FAQ on how to use slots
10 > >> and subslots for library dependencies properly [1]. However, today
11 > >> I see that most of the developers didn't care to properly update
12 > >> their packages and when I introduced binary compatibility slot in
13 > >> libgcrypt, I had my hands full of work fixing the mess for a
14 > >> single package.
15 > >
16 > > How about you file a tracker bug report for each library package,
17 > > and then file bug reports per package using that dependency
18 > > blocking the tracker bug?
21 > That is certainly the conservative way to handle this, and it seems
22 > like a lot more work.
23
24 Not managing the migration is apparently a lot of work, since the work
25 isn't being done "voluntarily". Managing the migration might seem like a
26 lot of work, but at least it allows you to track progress properly and
27 tick off finished tasks, while in the mean time everyone involved gets
28 informed, and perhaps gets their bugs fixed for them quicker.
29
30 > This seems like a QA project. Perhaps we could get the QA team to make
31 > a couple for decisions?
32
33 Wow, that would make it a *lot* of work.
34
35 > Firstly, do you agree that we should migrate library dependencies as
36 > mgorny has described?
37
38 There is no agreement on whether it should even be done?
39
40 > Secondly, can we grant developers the license to make these changes
41 > outside of the normal "file-a-bug" workflow as an efficiency measure?
42
43 People handling the sub-SLOT migration for dev-libs/libgcrypt would
44 probably know better what they are doing than the package maintainers,
45 so I see no reason for QA to "grant licenses".
46
47 > If there are any reasonable objections (besides maintainer
48 > territorial-ism), of course the QA team should consider them.
49
50 That's back to the "agreement" bit, I guess.
51
52 Honestly, setting up a tracker and blocking it with bugs about packages
53 which someones-sub-SLOT-checking-script has vetted to be involved could
54 be done in less than a day (for the hundred or so packages that depend
55 on dev-libs/libgcrypt). It doesn't need some QA team to study in depth
56 -- it needs a couple of volunteers to do the checks and file the bug
57 reports.
60 jer