From: Tobias Klausmann <klausman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo git workflows and the stabilization/keywording process
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 13:12:49
1 Hi!
2
3 On Fri, 19 Sep 2014, hasufell wrote:
4 > Tobias Klausmann:
5 > >>> If this should really turn out to be a problem, then we could also:
6 > >>>
7 > >>> 4) Replace git's default merge driver by our own one that is better
8 > >>> suited for ebuilds. This can be done per repository via .git/config
9 > >>> and .gitattributes.
10 > >>
11 > >> Certainly that would be even more helpful!
12 > >
13 > > Still, all of these scenarios cause merge commits
14 >
15 > No.
16 >
17 > 1. git pull --rebase=preserve origin master
18 > => error: could not apply <commit>... <commit-msg>
19 > 2. fix conflicts via 'git mergetool' (e.g. meld or vimdiff with 3 panel
20 > view... very easy to see what happened)
21 > 3. finish rebase via 'git rebase --continue'
22 > => your unpushed keyword commit has been rewritten without a merge commit
23 > 4. push
24
25 See, this is why I asked: I was not aware of this (and have
26 pointed out repeatedly that I'd be delighted to be educated).
27
28 > That is pretty easy and takes you ~20s for a keyword merge.
29 > What's the problem?
30
31 The problem is that not everyone has deep knowledge of git. I
32 asked because I wanted to know what (if anything) we can do about
33 a problem I perceived. When we do the migration, there _will_ be
34 confusion and breakage and those who actually have deep knowledge
35 will likely cringe a lot. Documentation is the way out of that.
36
37 Regards,
38 Tobias
41 printk("Penguin %d is stuck in the bottle.\n", i);
42 linux-2.0.38/arch/sparc/kernel/smp.c