From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Rethinking multilib flags in Gentoo
Date: Wed, 08 May 2019 18:09:07
1 On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 3:19 AM Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Wed, 08 May 2019 12:01:21 +0200
4 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
5 >
6 > > On Wed, 2019-05-08 at 11:54 +0200, Alexis Ballier wrote:
7 > > > On Wed, 08 May 2019 11:41:41 +0200
8 > > > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
9 > > >
10 > > > > > There's multilib that adds a lot of flags with a single eclass
11 > > > > > change, but I'd guess the number of packages and flags is
12 > > > > > constantly growing, so sooner or later you'll be hit by this
13 > > > > > again and no multilib killing will help you then.
14 > > > > >
15 > > > > > I think it is more future proof to use the addition of multilib
16 > > > > > flags to fix pkgcheck rather than actively reducing the number
17 > > > > > of multilib flags to cope with its limitations.
18 > > > >
19 > > > > Then please do it, by all means. The reality is simple. If the
20 > > > > tool is broken, you either fix it or stop doing what you know
21 > > > > that breaks it. Being unable to do the former, and having no good
22 > > > > replacement, I'd go for the latter.
23 > > >
24 > > > Well, why is it slow ? IO ? CPU ? Did you collect profiling data ?
25 > >
26 > > CPU definitely. More detail than that, I don't and I don't have time
27 > > to investigate.
28 >
29 > So you don't have time to change 3 lines to add cProfile but do have
30 > time to send various emails and rework the entire multilib system ?
31 > weird.
32
33 This isn't productive.
34
35 If you'd like to do the work you're suggesting, I'm sure Michał will
36 support that, but as is you're just passive-aggressively questioning
37 his choices in the regards to the multilib system he created and the
38 CI system he created.