From: John Mylchreest <johnm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Change layout of distfiles
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 09:23:42
1 On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 12:36:22PM -0500, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
2 > Taking the earlier comment ( changing files only on the mirrors ) there
3 > are no portage changes that are technically required. However, you'd
4 > need to change about 10000 ( random number I pulled out of my ass, but
5 > there are many affected ) SRC_URI's to point to the new format, or
6 > produce some sort of hack that translates between the two, and I
7 > wouldn't be to fond of the latter effort, mostly because it would
8 > probably rot in the tree for way too long ;)
9
10 For the time being, whats stopping us from doing something like the
11 following on the mirrors?
12
13 for i in `find . -type f`; do
14 dir=${i:2:1};
15 // I guess we REALLY want case sensitivity, but thats not for me
16 // to decide.
17 dir=`echo ${dir} | tr [:upper:] [:lower:]`
18 mkdir -p ${dir};
19 mv ${i} ${dir};
20 ln ${dir}/${i:2} ${i};
21 done
22
23 > And you need to modify policy for placing files on the mirrors, but
24 > thats not a portage problem either; from the portage POV the change is
25 > relatively seamless.
26
27 Modifying the mirror code to do something like the above shouldn't be
28 complicated at all.
31 Role: Gentoo Linux Kernel Lead
32 Gentoo Linux: http://www.gentoo.org
33 Public Key: gpg --recv-keys 9C745515
34 Key fingerprint: A0AF F3C8 D699 A05A EC5C 24F7 95AA 241D 9C74 5515