From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Change layout of distfiles
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 17:40:58
1 Michael Renner wrote:
2 > Kurt Lieber wrote:
3 >
4 >> If we can come up with a seamless, painless transition process, great,
5 >> let's make it happen.
8 > From the _MIRROR_-side using hardlinks should be fine enough, we'd just
9 > have to ensure that every mirror uses -H (preserve hardlinks). And for
10 > the mirrors not using -H this will just result in increased traffic and
11 > diskusage (42GB at the moment, might hurt a bit ;) ). Shouldn't be a
12 > problem though ensuring that every mirror uses -H (and I think they
13 > already do, since we already did hardlink magic when moving old releases
14 > to historical)
15 >
16 > I guess the more complicated part will be adapting the ebuild system to
17 > look for/store the files in the new location.
18
19 Taking the earlier comment ( changing files only on the mirrors ) there
20 are no portage changes that are technically required. However, you'd
21 need to change about 10000 ( random number I pulled out of my ass, but
22 there are many affected ) SRC_URI's to point to the new format, or
23 produce some sort of hack that translates between the two, and I
24 wouldn't be to fond of the latter effort, mostly because it would
25 probably rot in the tree for way too long ;)
26
27 And you need to modify policy for placing files on the mirrors, but
28 thats not a portage problem either; from the portage POV the change is
29 relatively seamless.
32 > best regards,
33 > Michael
34 --