From: Daniel Ostrow <dostrow@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Change layout of distfiles
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 18:09:47
1 On Monday 06 March 2006 12:36, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > Michael Renner wrote:
3 > > Kurt Lieber wrote:
4 > >> If we can come up with a seamless, painless transition process, great,
5 > >> let's make it happen.
6 > >
7 > > From the _MIRROR_-side using hardlinks should be fine enough, we'd just
8 > > have to ensure that every mirror uses -H (preserve hardlinks). And for
9 > > the mirrors not using -H this will just result in increased traffic and
10 > > diskusage (42GB at the moment, might hurt a bit ;) ). Shouldn't be a
11 > > problem though ensuring that every mirror uses -H (and I think they
12 > > already do, since we already did hardlink magic when moving old releases
13 > > to historical)
14 > >
15 > > I guess the more complicated part will be adapting the ebuild system to
16 > > look for/store the files in the new location.
17 >
18 > Taking the earlier comment ( changing files only on the mirrors ) there
19 > are no portage changes that are technically required. However, you'd
20 > need to change about 10000 ( random number I pulled out of my ass, but
21 > there are many affected ) SRC_URI's to point to the new format, or
22 > produce some sort of hack that translates between the two, and I
23 > wouldn't be to fond of the latter effort, mostly because it would
24 > probably rot in the tree for way too long ;)
25 >
26 > And you need to modify policy for placing files on the mirrors, but
27 > thats not a portage problem either; from the portage POV the change is
28 > relatively seamless.
29 >
30 > > best regards,
31 > > Michael
32
33 Hrm, /me thinks you are missing something there, almost the entire tree
34 doesn't explicitly state the mirror://gentoo SRC_URI, portage handles that
35 automatically. That being the case portage would have change so that the
36 automatic lookup was mirror://gentoo/${firstchar}/. So that is at least one
37 portage change I can think of being required....
38
39 Sure I can still see your point about needing to manually change the packages
40 that do explicitly state mirror://gentoo in their SRC_URI, but given that you
41 would have to do the above anyway....
44 Daniel Ostrow
45 Gentoo Foundation Board of Trustees
46 Gentoo/{PPC,PPC64,DevRel}
47 dostrow@g.o