From: Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Change layout of distfiles
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 17:47:27
1 Alec Warner wrote:
2 > Taking the earlier comment ( changing files only on the mirrors ) there
3 > are no portage changes that are technically required. However, you'd
4 > need to change about 10000 ( random number I pulled out of my ass, but
5 > there are many affected ) SRC_URI's to point to the new format, or
6 > produce some sort of hack that translates between the two, and I
7 > wouldn't be to fond of the latter effort, mostly because it would
8 > probably rot in the tree for way too long ;)
9
10 I don't see how making portage translate mirror://gentoo/${P}.patch.bz2
11 to http://distfiles.gentoo.org/distfiles/${firstchar}/${P}.patch.bz2 is
12 worse than changing 10000 SRC_URIs.
13
14 > And you need to modify policy for placing files on the mirrors, but
15 > thats not a portage problem either; from the portage POV the change is
16 > relatively seamless.
17
18 That should be a one-time effort for one person anyway. I guess it's not
19 too hard to make a script that puts the stuff in
20 toucan:/space/distfiles-local into the right dir.
23 Kind Regards,
24
25 Simon Stelling
26 Gentoo/AMD64 Member