From: Alin Nastac <mrness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Change layout of distfiles
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 18:41:32
1 Simon Stelling wrote:
2
3 > Alec Warner wrote:
4 >
5 >> Taking the earlier comment ( changing files only on the mirrors )
6 >> there are no portage changes that are technically required. However,
7 >> you'd need to change about 10000 ( random number I pulled out of my
8 >> ass, but there are many affected ) SRC_URI's to point to the new
9 >> format, or produce some sort of hack that translates between the two,
10 >> and I wouldn't be to fond of the latter effort, mostly because it
11 >> would probably rot in the tree for way too long ;)
14 > I don't see how making portage translate
15 > mirror://gentoo/${P}.patch.bz2 to
16 > http://distfiles.gentoo.org/distfiles/${firstchar}/${P}.patch.bz2 is
17 > worse than changing 10000 SRC_URIs.
18
19 Better yet, the new portage could download files by trying both kind of
20 URLs (of course, only during the transition period).
21 After portage team mark the new portage version stable on all arches and
22 give the folks a chance to update their systems (6 months perhaps),
23 infra team could make the transition to the new URLs the same way
24 they're doing releases -> historical transitions (namely using hardlinks).