From: Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Dependencies on system packages
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 22:21:30
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 12:46:30 -0600 Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 > | Stephen Bennett <spb@g.o> wrote:
5 > | > > Could you spell out that exception clause, please?
6 > | >
7 > | > It doesn't translate well into words, but we'll go with something
8 > | > like "Unless you know exactly why the rule is there, understand
9 > | > fully the implications of breaking it, and know why it's a
10 > | > good idea in this particular case."
11 > | >
12 > | > However, if you're in a position to be invoking that clause, you
13 > | > should know about it anyway.
14 > |
15 > | Can we skip the sekrit rulez crap and just spell it out? Really, how
16 > | does this help anyone?
17 >
18 > It's quite simple. You don't do it unless you are fully aware of the
19 > consequences. If you have to ask, you aren't fully aware of the
20 > consequences so you mustn't do it.
23 Which clearly doesn't answer Ryan's question... but hey... that's a
24 Ciaran answer...
25
26 Basically the idea is that Ciaran and spb can protect their image as the
27 all knowing gods of programming. In other mailing lists they would be
28 considered trolls and/or Debian devs/users.
31 Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
32 http://dev.gentoo.org/~cardoe/