From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Dependencies on system packages
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 20:17:39
1 On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 12:46:30 -0600 Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | Stephen Bennett <spb@g.o> wrote:
4 | > > Could you spell out that exception clause, please?
5 | >
6 | > It doesn't translate well into words, but we'll go with something
7 | > like "Unless you know exactly why the rule is there, understand
8 | > fully the implications of breaking it, and know why it's a
9 | > good idea in this particular case."
10 | >
11 | > However, if you're in a position to be invoking that clause, you
12 | > should know about it anyway.
13 |
14 | Can we skip the sekrit rulez crap and just spell it out? Really, how
15 | does this help anyone?
16
17 It's quite simple. You don't do it unless you are fully aware of the
18 consequences. If you have to ask, you aren't fully aware of the
19 consequences so you mustn't do it.
22 Ciaran McCreesh
23 Mail : ciaranm at ciaranm.org
24 Web : http://ciaranm.org/