From: Chris Bainbridge <c.j.bainbridge@×××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: Niches and new developers (especially xbox)
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 16:45:05
1 On Friday 11 June 2004 13:32, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 17:44, Chris Bainbridge wrote:
3 > > I do not understand this concern regarding the legality of the xbox
4 > > gentoo effort. Can you state specifically what your concerns are, and
5 > > which laws you think are being broken?
6 >
7 > Disseminating *any* means of bypassing the "copy protection" or the
8 > security features of the Xbox are illegal in the United States thanks to
9 > the DCMA. As an American citizen you definitely won't see me signing
10 > off on *any* official Xbox release, as there is the possibility that *I*
11 > may be held liable.
12
13 Actually the DMCA says:
14
15 `(2) No person shall manufacture, import, offer to the public, provide,
16 or otherwise traffic in any technology, product, service, device, component,
17 or part thereof, that--
18
19 `(A) is primarily designed or produced for the purpose of circumventing
20 a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected
21 under this title;
22
23 `(B) has only limited commercially significant purpose or use other than
24 to circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a
25 work protected under this title; or
26
27 `(C) is marketed by that person or another acting in concert with that
28 person with that person's knowledge for use in circumventing a technological
29 measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this
30 title.
31
32 Neither the Cromwell bios or the linux kernel are primarily designed to allow
33 piracy of xbox games. Xbox-linux has a significant purpose other than piracy.
34 Both of these would have to be false for the DMCA to apply.
35
36 As for mirroring xbox-linux files, that is covered by title ii of the DMCA -
37 "System caching", which states that anybody who mirrors something isn't
38 liable unless they have received and ignored a take-down notification from
39 the copyright owner. Again I fail to see how the DMCA applies to xbox-linux
40 here. There has been no take-down notification, and no copyright owner has
41 staked a claim to any of the IP in xbox-linux.
42
43 In contrast, can you provide a justification for media-libs/libdvdcss to be in
44 gentoo, given that it actually decrypts copyrighted works (xbox-linux does
45 not), and the DVD-CCA and MPAA have both complained about it? It appears to
46 clearly violate your standards for being in gentoo.
49 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list