From: Brian Jackson <iggy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some suggestions
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 19:46:38
1 On Saturday 06 September 2003 01:05 pm, David Sankel wrote:
2 > Hello gentoo developers,
3 >
4 > I would like to say great job to all of you. Gentoo is an exceptional
5 > distribution. I have been using it for about 7 months now. You all
6 > should be very proud of yourselves for creating a very solid software
7 > product.
8 >
9 > I am an independent contractor with several years experience in user
10 > interaction with software systems. I came up with a few suggestions for
11 > the gentoo system. It is my hope that you will find them interesting or
12 > informative.
13 >
14 > 1) etc-update changes for a more automated system update
15 >
16 > etc-update allows you to automatically update (noted) etc files that one
17 > never changed from their last emerge. This could save a lot of
18 > maintenance time if it was put in a cron job to routinely do that after
19 > an "emerge sync;emerge -u world"
20 > The user then wouldn't have to look at all of the etc files to see
21 > if they were changed after every "emerge sync; emerge-u world".
22
23 been suggested, don't know what the status is, there's probably a bug that's
24 tracking the progress
27 > 2) make.conf updates to be more automated
28 >
29 > Most gentoo users, I believe, modify this file. This specific file changes
30 > quite often with updates. Since most users only modify the "USE" and
31 "CFLAGS"
32 > components, having an update that is automatic is plausible. This feature
33 > is a trade off between the integrity and consistency of the system verses
34 > end-user maintenance time.
35 >
36 > 3) emerge -u world "NOTICE:" output changes.
37 >
38 > When doing an "emerge -u world" several "NOTICE:"'s fly by on the screen.
39 > For many users, they go unread although they contain important information
40 > in a lot of cases. If these "NOTICE:"'s are cached and output at the end
41 > of an "emerge -u world", their readership would have a dramatic increase.
42 > This would allow interested gentoo users to be more informed of their
43 > system.
44
45 been suggested numerous times, I believe it's being worked on
48 > 4) emerge -u world progress bar option
49 >
50 > Most users probably care less about the compilation stages of their update
51 > in comparison to the percentage of completion. A progress bar in this
52 > area would be a nice aesthetic and informative addition for most users.
53 > In order for this to happen, the output of the "emerge -u world" command
54 > would probably have to be standardized with some flags to mark the
55 > beginning and end of a compile.
56
57 it's hard to say what progress something is at, this would require some way to
58 measure a packages relative size, but we do have an "emerging package x/t"
59 message
62 > 5) A simple graphical front end to maintenance commands such as "emerge
63 > sync", "emerge -u world", and "etc-update".
64 >
65 > It would be a nice feature if users didn't have to commit these commands
66 > to memory for regular maintenance. The maintenance menu might have an
67 > icon on all of the default desktops. If this type of program was
68 > implemented, it could be prominently displayed and made known for all new
69 > users. Perhaps the install documentation could use this tool as much as
70 > possible.
71
72 kind of tough considering the sheer number of desktop environments/window
73 managers out there, but I know there is one for kde and one for gnome
76 > 6) A streamlined GUI install.
77 >
78 > I'm sure this one has been brought up before. I consider this the "1.0"
79 > maker of the gentoo distribution. In such an installer, I suggest that
80 > the CFLAGS should not be modified by default. It has been shown in
81 > several places that optimizing these does not give a significant enough
82 > performance increase. It should stay, of course, as an option though.
83
84 being worked on
85 glis.sf.net
86 they are doing a scripted backend, that eventually can have whatever kind of
87 front end
90 > 7) Emerge -S and Emerge -s speed improvements.
91 >
92 > I don't know why these commands perform as slow as they do. My intuition
93 > says that they could be an order of magnitude faster. Perhaps a
94 > reimplementation in C/C++ or a data format change could help.
95
96 also been mentioned on too many occasions to count. portage is not going to be
97 rewritten in c/c++, even if it was it wouldn't help, most of the time is i/o.
98 there are people working on modularizing the portage code to make it easier
99 to change out the backend, so some day you may be able to use a db, sql,
100 whatever backend.
103 > Thanks for reading my comments and taking them into consideration. Again,
104 > I want to thank you, the gentoo developers, for doing such a great job on
105 > the gentoo system. I welcome any thoughts or comments on my suggestions
106 > in this newsgroup or otherwise.
107
108 We always welcome new suggestions, thanks for your input.
109
110 --iggy
113 > Sincerely,
114 >