From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] What is "official"?
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 19:18:52
1 On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 07:50:27 -0400
2 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Keeping it simple...
5 >
6 > If it's hosted on gentoo infrastructure it's official.
7 > If it's hosted on gentooexp.org/SF/Non infra then it's not official.
8
9 I think this is the best way to define it. Anything on Gentoo
10 infrastructure has to have broad support from the Gentoo community.
11 Anything elsewhere can do whatever it wants.
12
13 We could take a leaf from the GNU book, and register nongentoo.org if
14 infra wish to host stuff that is not official (c.f. savannah.gnu.org vs
15 savannah.nongnu.org). Then sunrise could go on overlays.nongentoo.org
16
17 Official means supported, however supported does not necessarily mean
18 official. Just because some people support something doesn't make it
19 "official". For example, if a project is official, then it's not
20 acceptable for devs to just ignore a problem related to the
21 project in stuff that isn't part of the project (at the very
22 least the problem should be referred to the project).
23
24 What I'm getting at is that "officialness" can be thought of in terms
25 of the effects it has, "how does the way something official is dealt
26 with differ from something unofficial?". My take is that official stuff
27 is something that all devs accept some level of responsibility for.
28 Thus official stuff is supported by the dev community as a whole. If
29 something isn't supported by the dev community as a whole, in that a
30 reasonable portion of the dev community actively discourage it, then it
31 shouldn't be official. Works both ways, of course - official projects
32 need to make reasonable efforts not to cause pain for everyone else.
33