From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] What is "official"?
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 12:00:12
1 Keeping it simple...
2
3 If it's hosted on gentoo infrastructure it's official.
4 If it's hosted on gentooexp.org/SF/Non infra then it's not official.
7 On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 10:32 +0100, Stuart Herbert wrote:
8 > Hi,
9 >
10 > One of the issues that the o.g.o project has brought to a head is the
11 > definition of what is "official" and what is not "official" when it
12 > comes to Gentoo. The term is already being thrown about in the
13 > Project Sunrise thread; I'm sure it'll come up again in future.
14 >
15 > It's an issue I think we should discuss and find an agreement on.
16 >
17 > Personally, I think what makes something official or not is 100% down
18 > to who does it. I think something is official if it is done by the
19 > project (where a project matches the definition in the metastructure
20 > project) responsible for whatever we're applying the label "official"
21 > to, then that's all that matters.
22 >
23 > So (picking something entirely at random for an example), if the Java
24 > project had an overlay somewhere (say, on gentooexperimental.org),
25 > because it's their overlay, the overlay is "official". Doesn't matter
26 > where it is hosted - all that matters is that it is run by the Java
27 > project.
28 >
29 > Equally (because it is the hot topic of the moment), Project Sunrise's
30 > overlay would be "official" because they're a Gentoo project. The way
31 > to stop them being "official" is simply to have the Council pass a
32 > resolution to shut down the project.
33 >
34 > I think the other side of the term "official" is clarifying the scope
35 > of how far something can be "official". Using the Java project as an
36 > example again (sorry guys :), the Java team can put in place
37 > "official" policies and procedures for what their team does, but that
38 > doesn't make them mandatory for the whole Gentoo project. Other
39 > developers remain free to form competitive projects, and put their own
40 > "official" policies and procedures in place if they wish.
41 >
42 > (I hope I explained that last bit properly. What I'm trying to do is
43 > keep in mind the terms of the metastructure document, which explicitly
44 > allow for two or more teams to be competing with each other).
45 >
46 > What are the alternatives? If a project's activities are not
47 > automatically "official", then who gets to decide, and how is that
48 > decision made? How can that decision be made fairly, without
49 > contradicting the metastructure, and without giving rise to any
50 > accusations of 'cabals'?
51 >
52 > Best regards,
53 > Stu