From: Lost Logic <lostlogic@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] How to become a GENTOO mirror
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 18:18:38
1 I just had an interesting thought that a way to mirror gentoo
2 and cut out one portion of the mirror sync - cvs update delay
3 would be to use emerge --fetchonly * (or whatever would work right)
4 to create the mirror, thus it would be possible for your mirror
5 to be more updated than the ibiblio one... (just my $0.02 here)
6 --Brandon
9 > This isn't a full answer from a developer, but here is some
10 > information that I have:
11 >
12 > 1) The nice thing about Gentoo is that if the primary
13 > gentoo mirror doesn't have a file for an ebuild, it can
14 > be fetched from the program's home site.
15 > 2) Due to #1 there is no real pressure to resync terribly
16 > often.
17 > 3) My friend currently has a gentoo mirror which he has
18 > never seen exceed 7 gigabytes.
19 >
20 > --Brandon
24 > > Hi all,
25 > >
26 > > I'm relatively new to the GENTOO Linux phenomenon, but I must say I like
27 > > what I've used so far. 'emerge' seems to be very slick and well-written.
28 > >
29 > > In an effort to encourage the use of GENTOO Linux within my company, I
30 > > would like to create a server which will mirror the quite extensive
31 > > archive of 'distfiles' as currently stored on www.ibiblio.org/gentoo.
32 > > This server will be available only within my company's network, protected
33 > > by a firewall, so it's only going to be accessible by company employees.
34 > > The main reasons for this would be to ensure speedy access for the
35 > > internal network users, and to reduce the load on our company's
36 > > already-overburdened proxy servers by providing an internal repository.
37 > >
38 > > What is the best process for mirroring the GENTOO directory on iBiblio's
39 > > site? How much disk space should I expect to have available for this
40 > > mirror, and how often should it be synchronized against the master?
41 > >
42 > > I'd be grateful for any advice you can offer.
43 > >
44 > > Regards,
45 > >
46 > > -- Matthew A. Schnoor