From: Lost Logic <lostlogic@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] How to become a GENTOO mirror
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 17:49:06
1 This isn't a full answer from a developer, but here is some
2 information that I have:
3
4 1) The nice thing about Gentoo is that if the primary
5 gentoo mirror doesn't have a file for an ebuild, it can
6 be fetched from the program's home site.
7 2) Due to #1 there is no real pressure to resync terribly
8 often.
9 3) My friend currently has a gentoo mirror which he has
10 never seen exceed 7 gigabytes.
11
12 --Brandon
16 > Hi all,
17 >
18 > I'm relatively new to the GENTOO Linux phenomenon, but I must say I like
19 > what I've used so far. 'emerge' seems to be very slick and well-written.
20 >
21 > In an effort to encourage the use of GENTOO Linux within my company, I
22 > would like to create a server which will mirror the quite extensive
23 > archive of 'distfiles' as currently stored on www.ibiblio.org/gentoo.
24 > This server will be available only within my company's network, protected
25 > by a firewall, so it's only going to be accessible by company employees.
26 > The main reasons for this would be to ensure speedy access for the
27 > internal network users, and to reduce the load on our company's
28 > already-overburdened proxy servers by providing an internal repository.
29 >
30 > What is the best process for mirroring the GENTOO directory on iBiblio's
31 > site? How much disk space should I expect to have available for this
32 > mirror, and how often should it be synchronized against the master?
33 >
34 > I'd be grateful for any advice you can offer.
35 >
36 > Regards,
37 >
38 > -- Matthew A. Schnoor