From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New network config for baselayout-ng
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 12:44:15
1 On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 10:38 +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 11:32:20 +0100 Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 > | Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 > | > Which is all very well, but not sufficient reason to screw up a
6 > | > project that is developed and used by a lot of people.
7 > |
8 > | As if we were all gonna die without bash arrays in our config files.
9 >
10 > If you'd care to read the thread, you'd see that rather a lot of people
11 > are making use of that functionality. There needs to be a better reason
12 > for changing it (again) than "three people are using Gentoo well outside
13 > of what it's designed to do and don't want to install bash".
14
15 Actually, that's one of the joys of open source. There *doesn't* need
16 to be *any* justification *whatsoever* for Roy to do anything he likes.
17 After all, that's how many projects start out. Someone decides they
18 want to do something and they start working on it.
19
20 We're all volunteers here. We work on what we want. If you (or anyone,
21 this isn't directed at you, specifically) don't like it, you're more
22 than welcome to try to convince Roy to not do it. I'm sure he takes
23 large monetary bribes. Otherwise, shut your pie hole or fork the
24 current baselayout yourself. Anything else is just you trying to
25 control what Roy does with his completely volunteer time, which is about
26 as likely as me flying a cheese grater to the moon.
29 Chris Gianelloni
30 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
31 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
32 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
33 Gentoo Foundation