From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: Jeff Smelser <tradergt@×××××××.org>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] KDE 3.2.3
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 18:38:00
1 On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 11:06:23AM -0500 or thereabouts, Jeff Smelser wrote:
2 > Whats going on over there?
3
4 You really shouldn't have included this line as it comes across as very
5 rude. (Not saying you intended it that way -- just that it came across
6 that way)
7
8 The thing is, there is no "over there". There is only "here". Gentoo is a
9 community distribution. This means that our userbase is responsible for
10 maintaining it. I am, and have always been, a Gentoo user, first and
11 foremost. I didn't like some of the things that were happening with Gentoo
12 at the time, so I volunteered to help fix them. That doesn't mean I'm no
13 longer a Gentoo user -- it simply means I'm a more active participant than
14 some other users.
15
16 If you don't like the speed at which certain packages are being updated,
17 become part of the solution. Help out with fixing bugs, do testing of ~x86
18 packages (or whatever your arch is) and post reports on bugzilla for
19 packages that you find to be stable. Write up documentation. Do any of
20 the 10,000 things that need to be done to further the distribution.
21
22 Gentoo is a meritocracy. The folks who demonstrate competence, dedication
23 and a willingness to participate receive more of a voice in the future of
24 the distribution (by way of CVS access, etc.).
25
26 --kurt