From: Andrew Cowie <andrew@×××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
Cc: Jeff Smelser <tradergt@×××××××.org>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Ways for non devs to contribute (was KDE 3.2.3)
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 03:36:29
1 On Fri, 2004-07-09 at 18:37 +0000, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > become part of the solution ... for
3 > packages that you find to be stable.
4
5 Hyperbole aside, I think that this is Jeff's point: there is no obvious
6 or effective way for power users (ie people who have their shit together
7 who don't happen to be Gentoo developers) to do so.
8
9 If there happens to be a bug that was resolved, then certainly a "yup,
10 it's working now" comment to that bug is in order.
11
12 However, far more often, the case is: someone gets adventurous, tries
13 something in ~arch, and finds it works! There is, however, rarely a bug
14 out there about it to comment on. Certainly the sub-thread that Spider
15 raised suggests that raising new bugs to say "such and such, currently
16 ~arch, works" is not what is wanted. An email to gentoo-dev is nice, but
17 I've never had a reply to any such success report I've sent, so perhaps
18 that is of dubious effectiveness.
19
20 So seriously: what is an enthusiast to do?
24 The best I can come up with is a contribution system similar to voting:
25
26 An infrastructure level change tied to Portage in which if someone
27 builds something that is ~arch and finds that it is stable, then an
28 email (gpg signed, perhaps, to avoid the usual spam issues?) gets fired
29 off (on command, after user has had time to consider things) to some
30 aggregator which keeps stats on ebuild versions. That way, a somewhat
31 objective sense of progress and stability can be built up on a per
32 ebuild (or perhaps, per version) basis.
33
34 There is a lot of potential for synergy here: emerge could report
35 stability scores; bugs in bugzilla could perhaps be tied to ebuilds more
36 directly, etc. But the real benefit, and the point of my email, is this:
37
38 Power users could get a positive sense of making a real contribution to
39 the forward progress of Gentoo, thus building up enthusiasm, rather than
40 wearing down their energy (and that of the devs!) as email threads such
41 as this one tend to do.
42
43 Regards,
44
45 AfC
46 Sydney
49 Andrew Frederick Cowie
50
51 OPERATIONAL DYNAMICS
52 Operations Consultants and Infrastructure Engineers
53
54 http://www.operationaldynamics.com/