From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: Andrew Cowie <andrew@×××××××××××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ways for non devs to contribute (was KDE 3.2.3)
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 12:49:41
1 On Sat, Jul 10, 2004 at 01:36:24PM +1000 or thereabouts, Andrew Cowie wrote:
2 > Hyperbole aside, I think that this is Jeff's point: there is no obvious
3 > or effective way for power users (ie people who have their shit together
4 > who don't happen to be Gentoo developers) to do so.
5 [snip]
6 > So seriously: what is an enthusiast to do?
7
8 become a developer. That's what the other ~200 of us did.
9
10 The word "developer" is a bad one as it has a narrow focus compared with
11 what all of us really do. You don't have to speak C, python, perl or even
12 bash to be a valuable developer. One of our core strengths as a
13 distribution is our documentation. We *always* need more documentation
14 writers, especially for specialized projects.
15
16 Then there's recruiting, infrastructure, security, etc. none of which
17 require a great deal of "development" in the traditional sense of the word.
18
19 Believe me, there's plenty of work to go around.
20
21 --kurt