From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] udev-ng? (Was: Summary Council meeting Tuesday 13 November 2012)
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 05:19:11
1 On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 12:00:52AM -0500, Richard Yao wrote:
2 > > I'm genuinely interested in your goals, in detail, otherwise I would
3 > > not have asked about them. Perhaps I am totally wrong and your fork
4 > > makes sense, perhaps, to me, not. But without knowing such goals,
5 > > there's no way that anyone can get an idea about this.
6 >
7 > I am afraid that I have to disappoint you. If we were using the
8 > waterfall model, I could outline some very nice long term goals for you,
9 > but we are doing AGILE development, so long term goals have not been
10 > well defined. Some short term goals have been defined, but I imagine
11 > that you are already familiar with them. I suggest asking again after
12 > our first tag.
13
14 I'll ignore the fact that project goals have nothing to do with
15 waterfall or agile, and ask, what are your short-term goals?
16
17 Why is this an "official" Gentoo project without this being discussed in
18 an open manner?
19
20 > A consequence of being open source means that everyone can see what we
21 > do, so people are able to send us their opinions on things that have not
22 > been officially announced, much like this project.
23
24 Given that the Gentoo Foundation is claiming copyright on this project
25 now, not announcing it seems a bit rude to the rest of us who make up
26 this foundation, don't you think?
27
28 That's not very open :(
29
30 > >>>>> I understand the bizarre need of some people to want to build the udev
31 > >>>>> binary without the build-time dependencies that systemd requires, but
32 > >>>>> surely that is a set of simple Makefile patches, right? And is
33 > >>>>> something that small really worth ripping tons of code out of a working
34 > >>>>> udev, causing major regressions on people's boxes (and yes, it is a
35 > >>>>> regression to slow my boot time down and cause hundreds of more
36 > >>>>> processes to be spawned before booting is finished.)
37 > >>>>
38 > >>>> See the following:
39 > >>>>
40 > >>>> https://github.com/gentoo/eudev/issues/3
41 > >>>
42 > >>> You moved from an explicit to an implicit dependency. It's not
43 > >>> inspiring any sense of confidence from me that there is an understanding
44 > >>> of how things work here.
45 > >>>
46 > >>> Seriously, the codebase you are working with isn't that large, or
47 > >>> complex, at all. To go rip stuff out, only to want to add it back in
48 > >>> later, wastes time, causes bugs, and goes against _any_ software
49 > >>> methodology that I know of.
50 > >>
51 > >> I can say the same about the manner in which these changes were
52 > >> introduced. Ripping them out to get the codebase back into a state from
53 > >> which we are comfortable moving forward is the only sane way of dealing
54 > >> with them.
55 > >
56 > > Wait, what? The kmod introduction was deliberate and solves a real
57 > > problem. kmod itself was created _because_ of these issues that had
58 > > been seen and found. It was written for the systemd/udev projects to
59 > > use, and had been worked on for a long time by a number of developers.
60 > > By removing it, you have now negated that solution and we are back to
61 > > the old problems we had before. That doesn't seem very wise to me, does
62 > > it to you?
63 > >
64 > > thanks,
65 > >
66 > > greg k-h
67 >
68 > Having a builtin is a good idea, but the implementation as a mandatory
69 > dependency on kmod is not. The plan is to reintroduce it as an optional
70 > dependency, so that distributions (and Gentoo users) that do not want it
71 > can avoid it. None of us want to force dependencies on others and there
72 > is no need for this one.
73
74 You do realize that you didn't really drop the dependency at all, right?
75
76 > With that said, Linux distributions are victims of people continually
77 > trying to reinvent the wheel with no formal planning.
78
79 Huh? Really? It's as if you think we all are just throwing stuff
80 against the wall and seeing what sticks? We aren't responding to real
81 users, customers, research, history, and competitors? Your dismissal of
82 the people who create the system you are using seems pretty bold.
83
84 > At some point, someone has to enforce a form of structure where
85 > further change occurs in a well defined manner and change because we
86 > can is rejected as being pointless. That is what we want and that is
87 > what we feel that our users want.
88
89 Ok, what is that structure you are wishing were present? What problems
90 do you have with systemd on a technical level that are not being
91 addressed? What technical problems with udev do you have that caused
92 this to be forked? What problems are you wishing to solve, and what
93 goals do you have by doing all of this?
94
95 Have you studied the problem area for booting, process monitoring,
96 system isolation, device creation and notification, persistant naming,
97 multiple users with multiple displays, and the like, and found that
98 Linux is lacking in this area? If so, I would love to learn more, as I
99 want Linux, and Gentoo, to succeed. Without knowing the problems you
100 are having, there's no way anyone will ever change.
101
102 thanks,
103
104 greg k-h