From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] udev-ng? (Was: Summary Council meeting Tuesday 13 November 2012)
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 09:14:53
1 On 18/11/12 07:19, Greg KH wrote:
2 > On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 12:00:52AM -0500, Richard Yao wrote:
3 >> Having a builtin is a good idea, but the implementation as a mandatory
4 >> dependency on kmod is not. The plan is to reintroduce it as an optional
5 >> dependency, so that distributions (and Gentoo users) that do not want it
6 >> can avoid it. None of us want to force dependencies on others and there
7 >> is no need for this one.
8 >
9 > You do realize that you didn't really drop the dependency at all, right?
10
11 Exactly what I had in mind. So far I see bunch of regressions (back to
12 bundling code :() in the "eudev" repository and more it deviates from
13 the orig. upstream the less attractive it's looking...
14
15 What should be done, at most, is to cherry-pick and revert the things
16 that killed the sep. /usr support, put it behind an USE flag to the
17 current udev's ebuild, perhaps IUSE="+vanilla", and be done with it.
18
19 - Samuli