From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] One-Day Gentoo Council Reminder for January 22
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 17:28:35
1 On 17:02 Thu 22 Jan , Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 08:56:23 -0800
3 > Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
4 > > Can this be fixed by adding bash dependencies to things using new
5 > > features? As long as we keep them out of the build path of bash,
6 > > things ought to work.
7 >
8 > Only if you're guaranteed bash 3.1 on boxes that do metadata
9 > generation. Which means it won't work for overlays.
10
11 I'm not an expert on metadata generation, so please tell me if I'm wrong
12 here. Most if not all overlays don't ship pregenerated metadata, which
13 means users have to generate it locally. Without doing so, they cannot
14 install anything from that overlay that uses bash features they lack.
15 They can still install things from that overlay that don't use the new
16 bash features.
17
18 Consequently, packages in overlays using new bash features won't work
19 till you upgrade your bash. They also won't be able to give you a good
20 error about how to fix it, because you can't guarantee that you'll be
21 able to parse the ebuild/eclass as far as the bash dependency.
22
23 I guess a GLEP 42 news item would sort of work, but I really wish we had
24 tree dependencies. Another option would be to make overlay maintainers
25 generate their own metadata.
26
27 > > Then we could add a repoman check for new features, if we wanted.
28 >
29 > Can't do that unless you write a feature-complete bash parser and
30 > pretend-execute every possible path an ebuild can take...
31
32 We're getting into pretty weird territory here -- if you had slotted
33 bash versions, you could do bash-3.0 -n foo.ebuild, bash-3.1 -n
34 foo.ebuild, etc.
37 Thanks,
38 Donnie
39