From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ${PORTDIR}/profiles/package.use
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 15:41:18
1 Petteri Räty wrote:
2 > Marius Mauch wrote:
3 >
4 > Gentoo being about choice the new package.use should come before
5 > anything user set. I do not see any problem with this if it works in the
6 > same way as package.mask already works. Please, enlighten me.
7
8 Because package.use is implemented in a very different way then
9 package.mask and currently isn't stackable at all. Adding a
10 profiles/package.use that could be overridden by make.conf would require
11 some nasty special casing in portage, and as we all know special case
12 code is something that should be avoided. Besides that, there would also
13 be the question about USE=-*, should this kill profiles/package.use
14 completely?
15 Short version: Implementation and semantics of profiles/package.use
16 isn't much easier than extending IUSE.
17
18 Marius
19 --
20 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list