From: Daniel Ostrow <dostrow@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ${PORTDIR}/profiles/package.use
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 16:06:11
1 On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 17:49 +0300, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > Petteri Räty wrote:
3 > > Marius Mauch wrote:
4 > >
5 > > Gentoo being about choice the new package.use should come before
6 > > anything user set. I do not see any problem with this if it works in the
7 > > same way as package.mask already works. Please, enlighten me.
8 >
9 > Because package.use is implemented in a very different way then
10 > package.mask and currently isn't stackable at all. Adding a
11 > profiles/package.use that could be overridden by make.conf would require
12 > some nasty special casing in portage, and as we all know special case
13 > code is something that should be avoided. Besides that, there would also
14 > be the question about USE=-*, should this kill profiles/package.use
15 > completely?
16 > Short version: Implementation and semantics of profiles/package.use
17 > isn't much easier than extending IUSE.
18 >
19 > Marius
20
21 Hijacking this for a moment. And I fully expect to be lynched for the
22 following but it is something that has come up in both the amd64 and
23 ppc64 groups in the past.
24
25 I know it has been proposed many a time in the past but a per profile
26 (${PORTDIR}/profiles/default-linux/${ARCH}) package.use.mask would also
27 come in handy. It's a rare case...but increasingly in the world of mixed
28 32-bit and 64-bit environments things like java work against 32-bit
29 stuff *or* 64-bit stuff. This means that the java use flag will work
30 perfectly on a given arch for one bitness but not the other...and
31 masking it out completely means that the one bitness where it would work
32 looses functionality unnecessarily.
33
34 Yeah I know this adds a whole additional layer of complexity to the
35 picture but seeing how DEPEND="!arch? ( use? ( app-foo/bar ) )" is
36 against policy there has to be some way to control it.
39 Daniel Ostrow
40 Gentoo Foundation Board of Trustees
41 Gentoo/{PPC,PPC64,DevRel}
42 dostrow@g.o