From: Henrik Brix Andersen <brix@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Bugzilla handling for maintainer-wanted things
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 15:22:08
1 On Sun, 2005-08-21 at 11:14 -0400, Nathan L. Adams wrote:
2 > Its a chicken and egg situation. I need to have a certain level of
3 > expertise with ebuild syntax and conventions to do the job. So I've
4 > asked for some help from an expert. Also, I learn things quicker and
5 > easier by first seeing examples and then seeing the documentation;
6 > that's just me. Once I've learned a bit, I can start doing things on my
7 > own.
8
9 We have plenty of examples in portage - and you can always ask on irc or
10 on this mailing list if you have a specific question related to ebuild
11 best practices.
12
13 Did you read our Ebuild HOWTO [1] yet?
14
15 > By the way, I didn't create the ebuild. Peer review isn't when you
16 > review your own work. Its when somebody else, knowlegdable in the
17 > subject, reviews your work.
18
19 Yes, I am aware of the concept.
20
21 > *THAT* is a great idea. I am proficient in several scripting languages.
22 > I am willing to write the tools if someone more knowledgable is willing
23 > to help me with what the 'best practices' are for ebuilds. Its a 'you
24 > help me and we'll both help Gentoo' situation.
25
26 Good luck with that. I look forward to hearing from you when you've
27 established a project base and started reviewing our current ebuilds.
28
29 Wikipedia has an article on code review [2] which has a few useful links
30 at the bottom - perhaps these can help you get started.
31
32 Sincerely,
33 Brix
34
35 [1]:
36 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=2&chap=1
37 [2]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_review
38 --
39 Henrik Brix Andersen <brix@g.o>
40 Gentoo Metadistribution | Mobile computing herd