From: "Nathan L. Adams" <nadams@××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Bugzilla handling for maintainer-wanted things
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 15:08:17
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:
5 > On Sun, 2005-08-21 at 10:10 -0400, Nathan L. Adams wrote:
6 >
7 >>I'm starting to do just that. I've even asked Ciaran to review a
8 >>particular ebuild I was interested in so that I could learn from it.
9 >
10 > That's still not *you* doing the actual work - that's you requesting
11 > someone else to review your work - which is good, but a totally
12 > different topic which doesn't really belong in this thread, imho.
13
14 Its a chicken and egg situation. I need to have a certain level of
15 expertise with ebuild syntax and conventions to do the job. So I've
16 asked for some help from an expert. Also, I learn things quicker and
17 easier by first seeing examples and then seeing the documentation;
18 that's just me. Once I've learned a bit, I can start doing things on my
19 own. By the way, I didn't create the ebuild. Peer review isn't when you
20 review your own work. Its when somebody else, knowlegdable in the
21 subject, reviews your work.
22
23 >>>If you so desperately want code review in Gentoo, why don't you do what
24 >>>every other open source software developer has to do to get his ideas
25 >>>through: put some work into it yourself?
26 >>
27 >>See above.
30 > See above what? The part about you requesting someone to review your
31 > ebuild?
32
33 See above, again.
34
35 >>Of course not. But the IEEE *is* all about peer review (as all
36 >>scientists have been for the last few hundred years). And here is a nice
37 >>high-level article about the benefits of peer review while developing
38 >>software for the non-believers :)
39 >
40 > I'm confident that most Gentoo developers agree that peer review is a
41 > nice concept
42
43 Peer review is *not* a 'nice concept'. Peer review (as a part of the
44 broader scientific method) is how humans have progressed from horses and
45 buggies to the level of technology we have today.
46
47 > - but... I think you need to sit down and participate in an
48 > open source project to fully understand how it works. You can't just
49 > step forward and say "this is good, you need to do this" as a bystander
50 > - that's not how the open source spirit works.
51
52 This isn't my first F/OSS project. I was active with Fr**Craft before it
53 was (wrongly) shut down.
54
55 > If you on the other hand step forward and say something like "I've spent
56 > the last x months reviewing your code and developed a small set of
57 > utilities for doing so, would you be interested in a wider use of
58 > these?" I think you'd get a much better welcome.
59
60 *THAT* is a great idea. I am proficient in several scripting languages.
61 I am willing to write the tools if someone more knowledgable is willing
62 to help me with what the 'best practices' are for ebuilds. Its a 'you
63 help me and we'll both help Gentoo' situation.
64
65 > In the open source community this is also known as "show me the code" as
66 > in: if you want something done, you'd better be ready to back it up with
67 > code and/or actions. Basically, you'll need to put more than words into
68 > this, if you want to see it happen.
69
70 Agreed.
71
72 Nathan