From: Henrik Brix Andersen <brix@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Bugzilla handling for maintainer-wanted things
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 14:17:45
1 On Sun, 2005-08-21 at 10:10 -0400, Nathan L. Adams wrote:
2 > I'm starting to do just that. I've even asked Ciaran to review a
3 > particular ebuild I was interested in so that I could learn from it.
4
5 That's still not *you* doing the actual work - that's you requesting
6 someone else to review your work - which is good, but a totally
7 different topic which doesn't really belong in this thread, imho.
10 > That is handy, thanks. I don't see the IRC channel listed here:
11 >
12 > http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/irc.xml
13 >
14 > So I've emailed www@g.o and asked to have it added. :)
15
16 Ok.
17
18 > > If you so desperately want code review in Gentoo, why don't you do what
19 > > every other open source software developer has to do to get his ideas
20 > > through: put some work into it yourself?
21 >
22 > See above.
23
24 See above what? The part about you requesting someone to review your
25 ebuild?
26
27 > Of course not. But the IEEE *is* all about peer review (as all
28 > scientists have been for the last few hundred years). And here is a nice
29 > high-level article about the benefits of peer review while developing
30 > software for the non-believers :)
31
32 I'm confident that most Gentoo developers agree that peer review is a
33 nice concept - but... I think you need to sit down and participate in an
34 open source project to fully understand how it works. You can't just
35 step forward and say "this is good, you need to do this" as a bystander
36 - that's not how the open source spirit works.
37
38 If you on the other hand step forward and say something like "I've spent
39 the last x months reviewing your code and developed a small set of
40 utilities for doing so, would you be interested in a wider use of
41 these?" I think you'd get a much better welcome.
42
43 In the open source community this is also known as "show me the code" as
44 in: if you want something done, you'd better be ready to back it up with
45 code and/or actions. Basically, you'll need to put more than words into
46 this, if you want to see it happen.
47
48 Regards,
49 Brix
50 --
51 Henrik Brix Andersen <brix@g.o>
52 Gentoo Metadistribution | Mobile computing herd