From: Igor Savlook <igorsavlook@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Reverted python3.4 defaults
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 11:28:05
1 On Tuesday 21 July 2015 18:59:00 Ben de Groot wrote:
2 > On 20 July 2015 at 17:27, Jason Zaman <perfinion@g.o> wrote:
3 > > On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 10:39:25AM +0200, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
4 > >> On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 6:03 AM, Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
5 > >> > I would like to hear from the other team members, yes.
6 > >>
7 > >> I have sympathy towards those who are asking for only one Python in
8 > >> stages (as in, I would be fine with that), but I very much think we
9 > >> should not leave Python 3 out of generally installed systems by
10 > >> default. We need to move through the transition, and increasing the
11 > >> barriers to Python 3 adoption will only make that process slower.
12 > >>
13 > >> I also feel like a voting process for this is probably not a solution.
14 > >
15 > > I also very much dislike shipping only python2. Having only one python
16 > > is admirable and I'm all for it but if we only ship one by default it
17 > > should be python3.
18 >
19 > That is a nice sentiment, but unpractical. We have a lot more packages
20 > that require python2, while we only have 74 that require python3.
21 >
22 > While it may be possible to ship with python3 only (I haven't looked
23 > at what the packages in stage3 support), users will almost certainly
24 > need to install python2 when they start installing more packages.
25 >
26 > But if we ship with python2 only, then most users won't need python3.
27 > Those who want it, can of course simply add it. Going with python2 as
28 > default simply makes more sense.
29
30 Hmm on desktop machine with kde and etc. i have only one package with deps on
31 python3 - onboard (because no packages with same functional). :)