From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Reverted python3.4 defaults
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 10:59:09
1 On 20 July 2015 at 17:27, Jason Zaman <perfinion@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 10:39:25AM +0200, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
3 >> On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 6:03 AM, Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
4 >> > I would like to hear from the other team members, yes.
5 >>
6 >> I have sympathy towards those who are asking for only one Python in
7 >> stages (as in, I would be fine with that), but I very much think we
8 >> should not leave Python 3 out of generally installed systems by
9 >> default. We need to move through the transition, and increasing the
10 >> barriers to Python 3 adoption will only make that process slower.
11 >>
12 >> I also feel like a voting process for this is probably not a solution.
13 >
14 > I also very much dislike shipping only python2. Having only one python
15 > is admirable and I'm all for it but if we only ship one by default it
16 > should be python3.
17
18 That is a nice sentiment, but unpractical. We have a lot more packages
19 that require python2, while we only have 74 that require python3.
20
21 While it may be possible to ship with python3 only (I haven't looked
22 at what the packages in stage3 support), users will almost certainly
23 need to install python2 when they start installing more packages.
24
25 But if we ship with python2 only, then most users won't need python3.
26 Those who want it, can of course simply add it. Going with python2 as
27 default simply makes more sense.
30 Cheers,
31
32 Ben | yngwin