From: Josh Sled <jsled@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: News Item: Emacs 23 upgrade
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 13:56:45
1 Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o> writes:
2 > Fewer people know about the elogging functionality than about their
3 > display of "You have 1 unread news item".
4
5 Where do you expect them to see the unread news item message? Honestly
6 curious … I don't believe portage shows them, and – looking at the
7 Handbook – news (or elog, for that matter) are not even mentioned,
8 though at least elog is in the example make.conf users are told to
9 setup.
12 > Such I want to get people who
13 > will see Emacs 23 only when it hits stable in some months. By then they
14 > will have forgotten about the news item.
15
16 In my workflow, I'd not see the news item until the next time I run my
17 "get up to date" script, a week later. Presumably well after I'd
18 already played around with the shiny new emacs-23 and encountered the
19 breakage.
20
21 I implore you to at least add a note in postinst; that seems the most
22 reliable place to notify users who are installing a package about the
23 package's effects.
26 ...jsled
27 http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}