From: Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: News Item: Emacs 23 upgrade
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 20:33:16
1 Josh Sled <jsled@××××××××××××.org>:
2 > >> Why not just an elog during install of the emacs-23 package itself?
3 > >
4 > > Because nobody reads them
5 >
6 > If one doesn't read elog, which is at least put in the terminal during
7 > the emerge (if not sent to IM or email), why would they read news,
8 > which they need to go out of their way to find?
9
10 Fewer people know about the elogging functionality than about their
11 display of "You have 1 unread news item".
12
13 > > and you get weird errors on start-up which
14 > > will result in bug reports.
15 >
16 > Except this won't get shown until after installation anyways.
17 >
18 > Display-If-Installed: =app-editors/emacs-23*
19 >
20 > Maybe…
21 >
22 > Display-If-Installed: <app-editors/emacs-23
23 >
24 > …instead? To show to those users that are upgrade candidates?
25 >
26 > I do wish there was a "pretend/pre-emerge notification" capability in
27 > portage for things like upgrade guides (libxml, python 2.5->2.6,
28 > gnome, xorg-1.5, &c.). I guess news gets most of it, and then some.
31 Your system won't be rendered unusable just because you updated Emacs
32 (the 23 version isn't activated by default if you do an upgrade, you
33 have 22 active besides the new one). Such I want to get people who
34 will see Emacs 23 only when it hits stable in some months. By then they
35 will have forgotten about the news item.
36
37 V-Li
40 Christian Faulhammer, Gentoo Lisp project
41 <URL:http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/lisp/>, #gentoo-lisp on FreeNode
42
43 <URL:http://gentoo.faulhammer.org/>