From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] newsitem: openrc-0.28 mounts efivars read only
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2017 11:09:54
1 On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 2:30 AM, Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 12 Jul 2017 17:42:50 -0700 Matt Turner wrote:
3 >> On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 5:29 PM, Lucas Ramage <ramage.lucas94@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> > What needs to be changed for the bootloaders? I may be able to assist.
5 >>
6 >> The documentation should be updated to say that with OpenRC 0.28 that
7 >> you'll have to remount efivars as RW before you can install the
8 >> bootloader (e.g., grub-install)
9 >>
10 >> The command I use locally to remount rw (since I have configured
11 >> efivars to be mounted read-only in fstab) is
12 >>
13 >> mount -o remount,rw /sys/firmware/efi/efivars
14 >
15 > We don't have that much efi bootloaders. Maybe it will be better
16 > to update their scripting to remount efivars rw and back ro when
17 > needed? The same way we have non-efi bootloaders to mount /boot
18 > partition when needed.
21 Presumably you'd only want to remount it if it was mounted ro to
22 start, since it sounds like openrc will be diverging from systemd
23 behavior here.
24
25 While it seems like a good idea I'm not sure how big an improvement it
26 is in the larger scheme. We're worried about root accidentially
27 modifying efivars, but we have no safeguards against root writing to
28 /dev/sda, and the latter seems much more likely to cause harm, and is
29 harder to fix.
32 Rich