From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New local or global USE flags for sdl bindings: noimage & nomixer
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 22:14:38
1 On Wednesday 25 August 2004 10:28 am, Matthieu Sozeau wrote:
2 > so... i have the choice of using no* local flags or setup make.defaults
3 > with sdl-image and sdl-mixer global flags. I find those a little too
4 > specific to make it in make.defaults, so i wouldn't mind using no* flags as
5 > a temporary solution (and i will if no one objects). Adding a + syntax to
6 > use. {local.}desc, like "dev-ml/ocamlsdl:+image - Adds support for
7 > sdl-image (unset at your own risk)" would be useful (that is it would
8 > completely solve the no* flags problem).
9
10 actually, how is this for an idea ...
11 instead of a file many people would have to update and sync across different
12 profiles (huge pita, look at some of the virtual issues for example), what
13 about if we extend the IUSE syntax ? then maintainers of their own ebuilds
14 can determine 'default' USE setting on a per-package and even per-version
15 basis ...
16
17 for example i'll use nano since i maintain it:
18 IUSE="nls build spell justify debug slang ncurses nomac"
19 here we will consider 'justify' and 'nomac' ... the defaults from upstream is
20 to enable justify and mac conversion support ... however, as the maintainer
21 of the ebuild, i've selected disabling justify and enabling mac conversion as
22 the defaults, generating the ugly 'nomac' in the process ... in the new
23 world, i'd utilize this:
24 IUSE="nls build spell +justify debug slang ncurses +mac"
25
26 now, whenever a user does not have 'justify' or 'mac' in their USE, either in
27 the positive (USE=justify) or in the negative (USE=-justify), portage would
28 turn around and add justify and mac to USE for this package/version for us
29
30 what do you guys think ?
31 -mike