From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New local or global USE flags for sdl bindings: noimage & nomixer
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 22:29:57
1 begin quote
2 On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:14:10 -0400
3 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
6 > world, i'd utilize this:
7 > IUSE="nls build spell +justify debug slang ncurses +mac"
8 >
9 > now, whenever a user does not have 'justify' or 'mac' in their USE,
10 > either in the positive (USE=justify) or in the negative
11 > (USE=-justify), portage would turn around and add justify and mac to
12 > USE for this package/version for us
13
14 > what do you guys think ?
17 I think that a few users will be fairly confused by it. Whopp di doo ,
18 no biggie.
19
20 However, I like the idea, quite a lot really. It would allow us
21 developers who really know whats best for the user, even if they insist
22 on "choices" and all that, to throw out a decent default. We do that
23 for the whole system, and lets face it. Users shouldn't need to make a
24 lot of choices just to get decent defaults. Choices come after this.
25
26 ( Repeat after me: users shouldnt -have- to make choices. They should
27 have the possibility to make choices. )
30 idea++
31 //Spider
34 begin .signature
35 Tortured users / Laughing in pain