From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: martin@×××××.de
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: LTO use in the tree
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2014 11:15:35
1 On Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 6:23 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > As far as I understand, the LTO concept is suited well for most
4 > programs, though the results can vary. I agree that in the early stage
5 > many packages may be unhappy about it but as far as I understand, once
6 > it is more widespread only a few corner cases would be unsuited for LTO
7 > (+ the usual limitations like memory).
8
9 I tend to agree. I've been using stable gcc with -flto in my CFLAGS
10 for a while now with only isolated problems. When I run into a
11 problem, I disable it for that package alone. So far I've only done
12 it for 26 packages. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them now work.
13
14 I wouldn't really put LTO in the same category as fast-math.
15
16 Anybody who is using it should be prepared to run into the odd
17 breakage. It does make sense to filter the flag when it is known to
18 not work.
19
20 Rich