From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: New category proposal
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 17:26:26
1 Stephen Bennett posted <1115739418.24940.5.camel@localhost>, excerpted
2 below, on Tue, 10 May 2005 16:36:57 +0100:
3
4 > On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 11:05 -0400, Alec Warner wrote:
5 >> I'll be the first alt-arch person to scream, Reiser isn't stable on more
6 >> than half the arch's we support, and forcing users to go to one
7 >> filesystem just to get decent speed on portage tree searches is silly.
8 >
9 > Besides which, as of latested released kernels Reiser still doesn't have
10 > working extended attributes, so SELinux systems can't mount it. Apparently
11 > there's a patch kicking around, but forcing people to patch kernels
12 > themselves is even sillier.
13
14 Well, the latter anyway shouldn't be a big issue. That's what Gentoo
15 ships patched kernels for, right? ... And as for not stable on various
16 archs, that's what open source is for, right? (Leastwise I always see
17 complaints from others and have complained myself about that being one of
18 the problems with Java, not available in decently recent form on many
19 archs because it's not open for those motivated enough to make it work,
20 when those that /have/ the source refuse to do so, to do so themselves.
21 Said as I (im)patiently wait for reiser4 to stabilize on amd64, because I
22 regrettably don't have the skill set required to help get it there. =8^\)
23
24 Anyway, I wasn't necessarily arguing for a flat portage dir tree, but
25 simply pointing out that the problem of too many file/dir entries in a dir
26 has a known and open source solution, therefore, that problem by itself
27 isn't that big a deal. In practice, the flat-logical tree, organized by
28 letter, would probably be easier to work with, because regardless of the
29 ability of technology to handle the disk layout efficiently, humanity
30 doesn't scale so fast, and more than a few hundred entries simply gets
31 hard for the humans to work with, even if the file system has no problem
32 with it. The file system problem may be solved, but the human problem is
33 something else entirely (and tab completion doesn't work for
34 /everything/). Thus, really what I'm saying is don't deal with the
35 small, already solved stuff, when there's far larger unsolved problems --
36 if it's taken to be a flat dir layout, anyway -- that could be mentioned.
41 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
42 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
46 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list