From: Todd Wright <wylie@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] Encryption Export
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 13:05:39
1 > On Wed, 2002-04-17 at 21:50, Ryan Phillips wrote:
2 > > Gentoo provides ebuilds, source archives, and binaries for openssl,
3 > > gpg, and many other high-encryption packages off of its own website and
4
5 > > PLEASE REMEMBER THAT EXPORT/IMPORT AND/OR USE OF STRONG CRYPTOGRAPHY
6 > > SOFTWARE, PROVIDING CRYPTOGRAPHY HOOKS OR EVEN JUST COMMUNICATING
7 > > TECHNICAL DETAILS ABOUT CRYPTOGRAPHY SOFTWARE IS ILLEGAL IN SOME PARTS
8 > > OF THE WORLD. SO, WHEN YOU IMPORT THIS PACKAGE TO YOUR COUNTRY, RE-
9
10 Preston Elder wrote:
11 > Binaries and source could be a problem, however ebuilds are irrelevant
14 Prez,
15
16 I know you'll know this... Didnt the USA remove or relax the restrictons on software encryption exports last year, such that software was no longer considered a 'munition'? I was fairly sure they did, however I dont recall the detail. Is this still relevant ?
17
19 / \
20 \_.--._* <--- http://www.dreams.darker.net/~wylie/
21 v Mobile: +61-403-796-001 Ph: +61-2-9521-8677