From: "Preston A. Elder" <prez@××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Encryption Export
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 21:06:41
1 On Wed, 2002-04-17 at 21:50, Ryan Phillips wrote:
2 > Gentoo provides ebuilds, source archives, and binaries for openssl,
3 > gpg, and many other high-encryption packages off of its own website and
4 Binaries and source could be a problem, however ebuilds are irrelevant
5 -- they contain no cryptographical information in and of themselves, and
6 do not enable anyone to encrypt anything with high-encryption.
7
8 > PLEASE REMEMBER THAT EXPORT/IMPORT AND/OR USE OF STRONG CRYPTOGRAPHY
9 > SOFTWARE, PROVIDING CRYPTOGRAPHY HOOKS OR EVEN JUST COMMUNICATING
10 > TECHNICAL DETAILS ABOUT CRYPTOGRAPHY SOFTWARE IS ILLEGAL IN SOME PARTS
11 > OF THE WORLD. SO, WHEN YOU IMPORT THIS PACKAGE TO YOUR COUNTRY, RE-
12 > DISTRIBUTE IT FROM THERE OR EVEN JUST EMAIL TECHNICAL SUGGESTIONS OR
13 > EVEN SOURCE PATCHES TO THE AUTHOR OR OTHER PEOPLE YOU ARE STRONGLY
14 > ADVISED TO PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO ANY EXPORT/IMPORT AND/OR USE LAWS
15 > WHICH APPLY TO YOU. THE AUTHORS OF GENTOO ARE NOT LIABLE FOR ANY
16 > VIOLATIONS YOU MAKE HERE. SO BE CAREFULLY YOURSELF, IT IS YOUR
17 > RESPONSIBILITY.
18 even your disclaimer doesnt mention ebuilds -- ebuilds arent considered
19 'technical details'.
20
21 > In addition, I propose the RESTRICT variable for ebuilds. This would
22 > make source archives not be mirrored on the gentoo/ibiblio site, and
23 > it's mirrors.
24 THIS is a very good idea. Especially for things like openssl, and the
25 proposed ebuild of cryptoapi. If its not on our mirrors, its not our
26 problem to enforce export controls.
27
28 > Onto the subject of binary CDs. There should probably be two sets of
29 > binary CDs: one with high encryption, and one with export grade. To
30 > download the high encryption ISO, the website could ask the user if they
31 > agreed to the export license, or under FTP the license could be stored
32 > as a .message. A more simpler solution is to take out openssl/openssh
33 > altogether, since they are relatively small downloads.
34 Keeping in mind, that no matter what license you make people agree to,
35 in some cases, its simply illegal to export encryption technology
36 outside the US above a certain grade. Forget about import restrictions
37 on the user's side, unless you have explicit permission from the
38 government, you cannot even offer encryption technology (binaries or
39 source code) above a certain grade outside the US.
40
41 As I said, as long as we don't mirror the stuff, we don't have to worry
42 about export restrictions -- all we're exporting is something saying 'we
43 got it from here, and if it works for you, great! heres how to build
44 it', but thats not illegal (its covered under the first amendment).
45
46 As for the ISO's, if you have a high and low encryption ISO, then you
47 will have to make some reasonable measure to ensure the person
48 downloading the high encryption ISO is in the united states. Keeping in
49 mind, this does not apply to all packages -- some packages (eg. mozilla)
50 have permission to be distributed internationally by whomever.
51
52 I would go with your suggestion of removing anything thats export
53 controlled from the ISO, and letting the user emerge it.
54
55 > Best regards,
56 > Ryan Phillips
57 > rphillips at gentoo.org
58
59 > [Note: I am not a lawyer, and this should not be considered legal
60 > advice.]
61 Nor am I, but my company has had to deal with encryption export laws
62 before, and I myself write something with encryption technology in it.
65 PreZ
66 Systems Administrator
67 GOTH.NET
68
69 Goth Code '98: tSKeba5qaSabsaaaGbaa75KAASWGuajmsvbieqcL4BaaLb3F4
70 nId5mefqmDjmmgm#haxthgzpj4GiysNkycSRGHabiabOkauNSW
71
72 GOTH.NET - http://www.goth.net
73 Free online resource for the gothic community.