From: Ryan Phillips <rphillips@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Encryption Export
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 22:18:49
1 On Wed, 2002-04-17 at 19:06, Preston A. Elder wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2002-04-17 at 21:50, Ryan Phillips wrote:
3 > > Gentoo provides ebuilds, source archives, and binaries for openssl,
4 > > gpg, and many other high-encryption packages off of its own website and
5 > Binaries and source could be a problem, however ebuilds are irrelevant
6 > -- they contain no cryptographical information in and of themselves, and
7 > do not enable anyone to encrypt anything with high-encryption.
8
9 This is true. Binaries and sourcecode are the problem. We currently
10 mirror openssl/openssh/gpg all on ibiblio which is located in the US.
13 > > PLEASE REMEMBER THAT EXPORT/IMPORT AND/OR USE OF STRONG CRYPTOGRAPHY
14 > > SOFTWARE, PROVIDING CRYPTOGRAPHY HOOKS OR EVEN JUST COMMUNICATING
15 > > TECHNICAL DETAILS ABOUT CRYPTOGRAPHY SOFTWARE IS ILLEGAL IN SOME PARTS
16 > > OF THE WORLD. SO, WHEN YOU IMPORT THIS PACKAGE TO YOUR COUNTRY, RE-
17 > > DISTRIBUTE IT FROM THERE OR EVEN JUST EMAIL TECHNICAL SUGGESTIONS OR
18
19 > even your disclaimer doesnt mention ebuilds -- ebuilds arent considered
20 > 'technical details'.
21
22 see above.
23
24 > > Onto the subject of binary CDs. There should probably be two sets of
25 > > binary CDs: one with high encryption, and one with export grade. To
26 > > download the high encryption ISO, the website could ask the user if they
27 > > agreed to the export license, or under FTP the license could be stored
28 > > as a .message. A more simpler solution is to take out openssl/openssh
29 > > altogether, since they are relatively small downloads.
30 > Keeping in mind, that no matter what license you make people agree to,
31 > in some cases, its simply illegal to export encryption technology
32 > outside the US above a certain grade. Forget about import restrictions
33 > on the user's side, unless you have explicit permission from the
34 > government, you cannot even offer encryption technology (binaries or
35 > source code) above a certain grade outside the US.
36
37 Not true. I'm working on a letter to the BXA right now. I called them
38 up, we can distribute source and binaries as long as their is sourcecode
39 to go along with them. We cannot export to the 'bad' country list
40 knowingly.
41
42 The export laws were relaxed on opensource software.
45 > As I said, as long as we don't mirror the stuff, we don't have to worry
46 > about export restrictions -- all we're exporting is something saying 'we
47 > got it from here, and if it works for you, great! heres how to build
48 > it', but thats not illegal (its covered under the first amendment).
51 we currently export sourcecode and binaries... The ebuilds are not the
52 issue.
53
54 > As for the ISO's, if you have a high and low encryption ISO, then you
55 > will have to make some reasonable measure to ensure the person
56 > downloading the high encryption ISO is in the united states. Keeping in
57 > mind, this does not apply to all packages -- some packages (eg. mozilla)
58 > have permission to be distributed internationally by whomever.
59
60 Read the unrestricted export license on the BXA website. The export
61 license only covers open licensed applications and source. The BXA
62 names it TSU. http://www.bxa.doc.gov/Encryption/guidance.htm
63
64 > I would go with your suggestion of removing anything thats export
65 > controlled from the ISO, and letting the user emerge it.
66
67 Agreed.
68
69 > > [Note: I am not a lawyer, and this should not be considered legal
70 > > advice.]
71 > Nor am I, but my company has had to deal with encryption export laws
72 > before, and I myself write something with encryption technology in it.
75 As do I here.
76
77 -Ryan