From: Corentin Chary <iksaif@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] SRC_URI in metadata.xml
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 20:07:39
1 On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 4:21 PM, Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 14:03:23 +0200
3 > Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Since you are proposing this, a side question is:
6 >> Why should we write SRC_URI in ebuilds if that info is now available
7 >> in metadata.xml ? (granted that we might still want to keep
8 >> over-riding this information in ebuilds)
9 >
10 > 1) The information in metadata.xml is inaccurate, it's a hint. When it
11 > fails, nothing of value is lost since the ebuild (supposedly) has
12 > what you want.
13 > 2) SRC_URI is precise.
14 > 3) SRC_URI can change over time, and across versions (even with all the
15 > variables in place).
16 > 4) Backward compatibility.
17 > 5) The inversion of your question: Why should we start handling SRC_URI
18 > outside ebuilds and eclasses? Or, how would that be practical,
19 > advantageous, an improvement on the current situation.
20
21 Right, our proposal is not here to replace SRC_URI, it's here to fix
22 the cases where SRC_URI can't be sanely used to guess new upstream
23 versions (strange mangling rules, unbrowsable directories, etc...).
26 Corentin Chary
27 http://xf.iksaif.net